TL;DR: Keep on caffeinating.
Do you love caffeine but also fear it a little?
Well, good news.
Sally Tamarkin / BuzzFeed News
Everyone give it up for science because a new study determined that healthy adults can drink 400mg of caffeine per day and be A-OK.
The study's systematic review methodology expert Dr. Esther Myer told BuzzFeed Health via email that the research team (led by Dr. Daniele Wikoff) initially evaluated 5,000 studies, ultimately including 740 in their review, all published between 2001 and 2015.
The team looked at the effects of caffeine in five areas: acute toxicity (overdose, potential death), cardiovascular effects, bone and calcium effects, behavioral effects, and developmental and reproductive toxicity.
@manualbrewonly / Via instagram.com
In other words, it won't hurt you. Researchers also concluded that healthy pregnant women can safely consume 300mg of caffeine per day and that children and adolescents can safely consume 2.5mg of caffeine per kilogram of body weight per day (so a 100-lb teen can have about 115mg of caffeine).
• Panera single espresso: 73mg
• Panera iced coffee (20 oz.): 210mg
• Starbucks Tall Pike Place (12 oz.): 235mg
• Starbucks Grande Pike Place (10 oz.): 310mg
• Starbucks Venti Pike Place (20 oz.): 410mg
• Red Bull (8.4-oz. can): 83mg
• 5-Hour Energy (1.9-oz): 215mg
• Lipton Black Tea (1 bag / 8-oz): 55mg
• Coca-Cola (12-oz. can): 34mg